Contact & Personal Info
Name: Kevin Huang
Office Location: Student Union 2nd Floor
Office Hours: Tuesday/Thursday 4-5PM Or Contact Me!!
Add Me as a Friend on Facebook
College: College Ten
Hey Banana Slugs, My name is Kevin Huang and I have the honor of serving you as your Organizing Director. I am a first generation college student and Chinese American raised by two immigrant Chinese parents in a working class household. I grew up in the Bay Area with a strong perception of the sacrifices my family endured to ensure that I had the opportunity to pursue a higher education. In acknowledging my privilege to even be able to have a college education given my humble beginnings, I have committed my time in college to fighting for the preservation and reinvestment of our higher education system so that all students have the right to an education. In the past, I have lead successful campaigns in UC Santa Cruz for the California Dream Act, Online Voter Registration, and the Middle Class Scholarship Act to reduce student fees by 2/3rds. I strongly believe education should not only be rationed to those fortunate enough to a lucky few students – education is a right for all! I stand firm in advocating for all students in expanding the opportunity of public higher education.
As the lead organizer for campus, local, statewide, and national campaigns for the Student Union Assembly, I am excited to serve you and flex our power as students – with the 2012 Presidential Elections coming up, this is a monumental time for us as students to show our strength in numbers and in testimony. The future of the UC system is uncertain right now, but together, we can preserve our great Californian publoc institution of higher education. As a first generation Chinese American of two immigrant parents, I understand the importance of insuring that higher education is affordable, diverse, and accessible for all students. For this reason, I am devoted to fight off attempts to privatize public education that is meant for the PUBLIC!
Alongside fighting for the student voice on this campus, I will advocate for economic justice for the workers and student workers of the UC. United as students and workers, the movement to rebuild the UC will be a force to wrecken with. Not only that, but the struggles of our workers are the same struggles that we face and will face as we students move into the workforce.
I have spent my years in this university committed to the student movement to fight against the privatization of our public education system. I am honored to be your Organizing Director – together we will show that the student voice is strong, making change as we move foward.
- Primary student government organizer on internal and external campus issues.
- Organizes and recruits students to attend programming sponsored by the Student Union Assembly.
- Creates and maintains contact with student organizations and the Student Body at large.
- Primary coordinator of campus-wide campaigns, UCSA campaigns and USSA campaigns.
- Attends weekly officer meeting(s) to ensure communication and collaboration.
- Required to hold weekly office hours at the SUA office.
- Makes and facilitates connections between campus movements/issues and those of the UC system as a whole.
- Prepares a monthly report evaluating the SUA, which provides constructive criticism, for the purposes of improvement.
- Carryout any other duties as set forth in this constitution, the bylaws, and/or assigned by the Assembly and/or Chair.
- Shall appoint the Historian/Media Coordinator by the last meeting of the Fall Quarter.
- Shall maintain a logistical committee composed of the SUA representatives.